modified for personal use. add full requirements.
Writing is a lightweight distraction-free text editor, in the browser.
Live version: Writing.
index.html and that's it! There is no server code. Is that so simple? Yes!
CTRL + D: Toggle display mode
CTRL + P: Print or export as PDF
CTRL + S: Save source code as .MD file
and a few other commands (change font, etc.) that can be found in:
- CTRL+SHIFT+H or
? bottom-left icon: Show help
Why another Markdown editor? Why not just use StackEdit?
There are many online editors that support Markdown but:
- half of them don't support LaTeX / MathJax (for math formulas)
- some of them do, but have a 1-sec delay between keypress and display, and I find this annoying, see e.g. StackEdit
- some of them have annoying flickering each time you write new text, once math is present on the page
- most of them are not minimalist / distraction-free enough for me
That's why I decided to make Writing:
- no server needed, you can run it offline
- fast rendering (no delay when writing / no flickering of math equations)
- just what you need: write, preview, save the code, print or save as PDF, and nothing else
- LPWP website, a.k.a. "Landing Page=Working Page", i.e. the first page that you visit on the website is the page where things actually happen, that means that there is no annoying welcome page or login page, etc.
Author: Joseph Ernest (@JosephErnest)
Other projects: BigPicture, bigpicture.js, AReallyBigPage, SamplerBox, Void, TalkTalkTalk, YellowNoiseAudio, etc.
Writing uses Pagedown, Pagedown Extra, MathJax, StackOverflow's editor code, and the Computer Modern font.
Note: Some of these libraries have been slightly modified (a few lines of code), to make it work all together, that's why they are included in this package.